Americans should never underestimate the constant pressure on Canada which the mere presence of the United States has produced. We're different people from you and we're different people because of you. Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is effected by every twitch and grunt. It should not therefore be expected that this kind of nation, this Canada, should project itself as a mirror image of the United States.
- Pierre Trudeau

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Canadian Update

Ok, this is the digest-version of my daily post. Clearly, I need to do my homework more if I want to be able to come up with interesting things to post every day. But failing that, I at least want to not fall out of the essential habit of keeping this blog feeling 'current'.

So, to start, here's a few fun things to check out.

1. Rick Mercer's blog - Believe it or not, Rick Mercer posts on a plain old Blogger blog, just like mine (though i think he may be soon moving to a better one, on his snazzy new website). Though I truly enjoyed his Liberal leadership convention coverage, and hearing about his christmas trip to Afghanistan, the most fun you'll have on his blog these days is definately the photo challenge. There are some classics ... don't forget to check out 2005-2006: there are some great entries, and some especially potent commentary on Canada-U.S. relations (such as Harper and Bush smoking hookah together; or my favourite Michael Ignatieff with his finger in bush's ear).

2. canadia-eh - This is a great blog by a Canadian from Edmonton. It chronicles her own adventures, amusing moments, and frustrations living south of the border. I'll credit this as an official inspiration for my own CanadiaBlog. It is quite a gem -- something I aspire towards; unfortunately, she is no longer maintaining it and seems to be planning on taking it offline soon (so check it out now, while it's still exists...)

3. My band! Why not? I need three things to make it a list, anyway. And my band is pretty awesome. Definitely have a listen. Canadian music at its best! (haha - www.myspace.com/threeseasonsandthemove).

4. There are a ton of other Canada and "Canadia"-themed sites and blogs out there ... but, some of them are stupid or offensive, and none of them are as good as this one, anyway. I'd like to provide a comprehensive Canadia-site-guide for you some time, but I think that is a project for another day.

It is pretty late right now so I will sign off!

ttfn,
-L

No comments: